Thanks for stopping by. I created this blog to inspire you to start cooking and show that it is possible to cook a healthy and delicious meal (almost) every day of the week.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -Julia Child

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Good Morning Oatmeal

I can honestly say that the 15 minute I spend every morning preparing my oatmeal are well worth it.
Good Morning Oatmeal


Ingredients - makes 1 serving
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
3/4 tbs dried fruit (prunes, raisins, etc), chopped
1/3 cup frozen fruit (blueberries, raspberries, etc)
1/4 cup kefir (flavored or plain)
1-2 other fruit types of fruit of your liking (1/3 banana, 1/2 small pear, 1 fig, etc.), cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tbs nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc)
1 tsp flax seeds or meal

In a small heavy bottom saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add the steel cut oats, lower the temperature and cook for about 10 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally and make sure the oats are not sticking to the bottom of your pot*. Add the dried fruit, stir. Add the frozen fruit and cook for another 5 min.
*I noticed that if I use my stainless steel saucepan the oats start to stick to the bottom – not so in my little yellow Le Creuset.

In the meantime, cut the remaining fruit into small pieces. You can even shred the apple with a mandolin.

Add your fruit to a small bowl; add the cooked oats, kefir, honey, and flax seed, stir. Top with a few nuts and enjoy.

Good Morning!

Good Morning Oatmeal with Apple Sauce

No comments: