Dinner 7.28.2012: Basic Tomato Sauce
 |
| Basic Tomato Sauce |
Basic Tomato Sauce (olive oil, chopped onion, canned chopped or whole tomatoes, kosher salt, sugar, pepper, minced garlic, parsley sprigs tied together with kitchen twine) - Use 1/4 large onion and 1 medium clove or garlic per 28 oz. can tomatoes. In a heavy bottom sauce pan sweat the onion with some olive oil and a little kosher salt until transparent. Add canned tomatoes and a little water and gently simmer about 30 minutes until the tomatoes are starting to soften and break apart. Using an immersion blender or hand mixer blend the tomatoes to your desired consistency - be careful handling the hot liquids! I like the sauce to be on the smoother side. Return the sauce to the pot, season with a little kosher salt, pepper and sugar and bundle of parsley. Continue to gently simmer for another 2-4 hours - the longer the sauce cooks the better it will be. Add the minced garlic about half way through the cooking process. When the desired consistency has been reached remove the parsley bundle and adjust seasoning with kosher salt and sugar.
This sauce can be enjoyed by itself or used as a base for meat bolognese, vodka sauce, lasagna, etc. I usually make sauce from four 28 oz. cans and freeze/can the rest so I always have some on hand. I know I could use play store-bought marinara, but this one just tastes so much better and I know exactly what's in it. It's worth the effort!
Enjoy!
 |
| Basic Tomato Sauce |
No comments:
Post a Comment