Thanks for stopping by. I created this blog to inspire you to start cooking and show that it is possible to cook a healthy and delicious meal (almost) every day of the week.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -Julia Child

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nicoise Pasta Salad

Dinner 7.25.2012: Nicoise Pasta Salad

If there is a Nicoise salad on the menu I am very likely to order it. First, you know what you (are supposed to) get and second, I like to see all the different ways chefs come up with presenting it. On my recent trip to Europe I had two different versions of a Nicoise Salad: all ingredients mixed together with canned tuna and another more traditional way of all ingredients arranged nicely on a bed of greens.

I personally like some of the ingredients mixed together and the eggs and tuna/anchovies placed nicely on top. I do like anchovy fillets, but having just returned from my travels I did not have any on hand. Also, since we are cyclists I usually substitute durum pasta whenever I can, so in this dish I substituted the boiled potatoes for al-dente Rotini pasta.
Nicoise Pasta Salad
Dressing (olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, black pepper, sugar, Dijon mustard, chopped parsley, little water)

Vegetables (blanched green beans, tomato wedges, quartered hard boiled eggs, halved black olives, mixed greens and anchovy fillets optional)

Boiled Potatoes/Pasta (boiled/steamed and sliced potatoes or al-dente pasta) - drain pasta, briefly rinse to remove starch, toss with green beans, black olives, tomatoes, and dressing. Eggs go on top as garnish once plated.

Tuna (olive oil, fresh or frozen tuna well drained/padded dry, kosher salt, lemon pepper from TJs, lemon juice for drizzling) - sear on both sides - center should be pink. Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and fresh chopped parsley.

Enjoy a little France on you dinner plate :)

No comments: