Thanks for stopping by. I created this blog to inspire you to start cooking and show that it is possible to cook a healthy and delicious meal (almost) every day of the week.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -Julia Child

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Eat Breakfast like a Queen

Oxygen Magazine 5/2010 p. 83
Finally - someone recognizes that what I eat for breakfast is not just animal feed, but a breakfast fit for a queen. I was just about jumping up and own when I saw the article 'Eat Breakfast like a Queen' on page 83 of Oxygen's May 2010 issue.

During my breakfast I was asked 'What are you eating?!' I could hear the disgust in his voice. I'd agree that to someone that is used to stop at the local 7-11 for breakfast my daily concoctions may be a little strange, but are the ever healthy and delicious.

My Daily Breakfast - yum.
I like to stir all my ingredients together and even let it sit for a few minutes while I get my coffee ready, so the oats get a chance to get 'creamy': low-fat yogurt, fat-free milk, 2-3 types of fresh fruit, muesli (oats, dried fruit), nuts, seeds, and maybe a little sprinkle of crunchy cereal - all mixed together into one big, health, and delicious bowl of goodness.


This is what you need:
Ingredients for a healthy breakfast.
- 1/4 cup or so non- or fat-free plain (greek) yogurt
- 1/2 cup or so non- or low-fat milk
- 2-3 types of fresh fruit (1/2 banana, 1/2 apple, 2-3 strawberries, hand full blueberries, etc)
- 1/3 cup plain rolled oats*
- sprinkle of dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, etc)
- 1 tbs nuts (sliced almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, etc)
- 1 tbs seeds (sunflower, pepitas, etc)
- 1/2 tbs milled flax seeds
- sprinkle of crunchy cereal (optional)
*I premix my oats with the dried fruit, nuts and seeds.

It's different every day.
First I mix the yogurt with the milk and add the oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, flax/muesli and stir. Then I cut all the fruit into little pieces, stir, add sprinkle with the cereal - Voila, breakfast is served.

For me variety is key: try mixing in all kinds of different fruit like kiwi, grapefruit, melon, pear, mineolas, pineapple, plum - whatever you like, as long as you love it.

No comments: