Thanks for stopping by. I created this blog to inspire you to start cooking and show that it is possible to cook a healthy and delicious meal (almost) every day of the week.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -Julia Child

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Three Potato Salad with Persian Cucumber and Red Onion

Three Potato Salad with Persian Cucumber and Red Onion
I call this the three potato salad, because I used three different kinds of potatoes: 5 fingerling and 3 medium potatoes (2 different kinds) I got the last couple of weeks in my CSA box, but feel free to use whatever potatoes you may have. I did not want the potatoes to spoil in the fridge, so what better way to make use of them than make a potato salad.

Basic-8 Dressing (make first) - I made about 50% more dressing, because potatoes tend to soak up a lot of dressing.
Follow the Basic-8 recipe, but substitute the following:
  • 3 tbs good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • 5 pinches* real salt
  • 8 turns on the black pepper mill
  • 1 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard
  • 2 pinch* granulated garlic 
  • 2 pinch* dried dill
Salad Ingredients (this is what I used)
  • 5 fingerling potatoes
  • 3 other medium size potatoes or whatever kind of potatoes you have
  • 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1/5 red onion, chopped
  • fresh parsley, chopped
Put it Together
Boil the potatoes until just done - keep in mind if cooking potatoes of different sizes at the same to check them frequently. The smaller ones will be done before the large ones. Remove potatoes from water and rinse under cold water to stop them from cooking. As soon as they are cooled down enough to handle peel them. Potatoes are a lot easier to peel if they are still warm than waiting until they are cold.

Cut the potatoes into bits size chunks, combine with the cucumber, red onion, parsley and dressing. Toss.

Feel free to serve it with a smoked sausage (but don't go overboard ;-) and a side of spicy whole-grain mustard.

Enjoy!

No comments: