Thanks for stopping by. I created this blog to inspire you to start cooking and show that it is possible to cook a healthy and delicious meal (almost) every day of the week.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -Julia Child

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

'I can't believe I'm eating Fennel' Salad

Fennel Salad with Celery, Red Onion, Pepitas and Oranges.
I know many people that don't like to taste of fennel, myself included. But, what to do when your CSA box contains fennel every week for 6 weeks? You come up with salad that makes fennel the most delicious thing you have ever tasted . . .

Basic-8 Dressing (make first) Follow the Basic-8 recipe, but substitute the following:
  • 2 tbs good olive oil
  • 1 tbs fig or pear infused white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • 3 pinches* real salt
  • 5 turns on the black pepper mill
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 pinch* granulated garlic 
  • 3 pinchs* ground fennel seeds
  • 1/2 tbs ried fruit (pears, figs, raisins, etc.) finely minced
*Use the thumb and index finger.  

Salad Ingredients  (2 servings)
  • 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, fawns removed and bulbs finely sliced with a mandolin
  • 1/5 red onion finely sliced
  • 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
  • sprinkle of pepitas
  • 1 orange or grapefruit, filleted 

Put it Together 
Combine the sliced fennel, red onion, and celery in a bowl and return to the fridge to keep cool - fennel tastes more intense if it reaches room temperature. I love it right out of the fridge all cold and crunchy.

Add the pepitas and orange/grapefruit segments and gently toss with the dressing. Serve immediately. A simple chicken breast goes great with this salad.

Enjoy!

No comments: