Thanks for stopping by. I created this blog to inspire you to start cooking and show that it is possible to cook a healthy and delicious meal (almost) every day of the week.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -Julia Child

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Turkey Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Penne

Dinner 10.13.2012: Turkey Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Rigatoni
Turkey Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Penne
I love Brussels sprouts, but in the past I only cooked them one way: with bacon and red wine vinegar. It is truly a delicious way of preparing them, but often the Brussels sprouts were simply undercooked and eventually I stopped making them because they never turned out right. So, when I went to the market a few days ago I came across fresh Brussels sprouts trees for only $2.99! Needless to say I stuck one in my cart and here we are - first Brussels sprouts recipe of the season.

This combination was inspired by a recent recipe published in Sunset magazine prepared with (purchased) Spicy Pork Sausage and Chard. It is very seldom that I make an actual recipe - rather I read a lot of them and them come up with my own combinations.

Mild Turkey Sausage Recipe
To check the seasoning mix all ingredients and cook a little of the mixture in a pan. Feel free to increase spices :)
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced or mico-planed
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • little crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients well. In a large, heavy-bottom sauté pan heat a little olive oil and cook the turkey sausage mixture in 2 batches; you do not want to 'crowd' the pan, otherwise the turkey will steam rather then brown nicely. Using a wooden spoon break up the mixture in bite size pieces. Once cooked through remove with a slotted spoon and repeat with second batch. Remove cooked sausage, wipe out pan with a paper towel and reuse for Brussels sprouts.

Turkey Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Penne (2+ servings)
  • Cook pasta in salted water while making the sauce.
  • 8 oz (1/2 box) Rigatoni
  • Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-bottom saute pan, add Brussels sprouts, little salt and pepper and sauté until white parts starting to soften (~5 mins).
  • olive oil
  • 2-3 cups  thinly sliced brussels sprouts
  • kosher salt
  • black pepper
  • Add chicken stock and gently simmer until starting to reduce a little. 
  • 1+ cup chicken stock
  • Add pre-cooked chicken sausage and heat through. Make sure there is some liquid left in the pan - if not add a little more stock. Once you toss the mixture with the pasta it will absorb quite a bit of it.
  • 1/2+ precooked turkey sausage
  • Add al-dente pasta, stir, garnish with sliced almonds and parmesan.
  • precooked, al-dente pasta
  • sliced almonds
  • grated parmesan
Turkey Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Penne

No comments: